And the Oscar went to…
- Best Picture: Hidden Figures Moonlight
- Actor in a Leading Role: Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
- Actress in a Leading Role: Ruth Negga. Loving Emma Stone, La La Land
- Actor in a Supporting Role: Dev Patel, Lion Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
- Actress in a Supporting Role: Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea Viola Davis, Fences
- Animated Feature Film: Moana Zootopia
- Cinematography: La La Land
- Costume Design: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Directing: Arrival La La Land
- Makeup and Hairstyling: Star Trek Beyond Suicide Squad
- Music (Original Song): “Can’t Stop the Feeling”, Trolls “ “City of Stars” La La Land
- Visual Effects: Rouge One: A Star Wars Story The Jungle Book
- Writing (Adaptive Screenplay): Hidden Figures Moonlight
- Writing (Original Screenplay): Hell or High Water Manchester by the Sea
*In red are the winners I did not predict*
And just like that, the Oscars are over, but not without a bang. Viola Davis and Mahershala Ali gave great speeches. Not political and from the heart. Viola even brought me to tears. Even though they were not my choice for their nominated categories, they are both still phenomenal actors who are finally being recognized on the highest level.
Jimmy Kimmel continuing to mess with his friend Matt Damon will never get old. Also, kudos to Jimmy for bringing in some unexpected fans into the theater, for a once in a lifetime tour bus ride to the see the most famous people in the world, all in one room. That was a super cool moment.
Lastly, about that Best Film flub. Talk about great television. It was like a train wreck. I wanted neither film to win. I thought they were both overrated. I will say that I do feel badly for Warren Beatty. He was confused, for good reason, and then tried to read the correct envelope to only have it snatched from his hand (quite rudely) and still had the courage to apologize in front of everyone. What a man. Mr. Beatty should get an apology for the disrespect. Not because he is a legendary actor but because he is an elder man, and at the end of the day, you don’t treat your elders that way.
Hopefully this year we get the same amount of great films or more for next year’s Oscars. Until then, just grab a beer and catch a movie at the theater….. Logan in 3 days!