With the Oscars airing this Sunday, everyone here at Sup, Nerds! from Brendan and me to our guest blogger Stephanie, made it a mission to watch all of the films nominated for the categories listed below.
And the Oscar goes to…
- Best Picture: Hidden Figures
- Actor in a Leading Role: Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
- Actress in a Leading Role: Ruth Negga. Loving
- Actor in a Supporting Role: Dev Patel, Lion
- Actress in a Supporting Role: Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea
- Animated Feature Film: Moana
- Cinematography: La La Land
- Costume Design: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Directing: Arrival
- Makeup and Hairstyling: Star Trek Beyond
- Music (Original Song): “Can’t Stop the Feeling”, Trolls
- Visual Effects: Rouge One: A Star Wars Story
- Writing (Adaptive Screenplay): Hidden Figures
- Writing (Original Screenplay): Hell or High Water
To be honest, the only film we did not get to was “Fences”. I love Viola Davis. I feel she is beyond talented and is finally getting the recognition she deserves and earned. Nevertheless, the movie simply did not grab my attention. As for the Best Film category, the main event of the Oscars, it was hard deciding between “Hidden Figures” or “Hell or High Water”. Both couldn’t be more different but both also gave the audience something new to watch. For me personally, Hidden Figures taught me something new about our history. The truly inspiring story of these 3 women, who changed history and whom history forgot about is sad. However, I am glad that their story is being shared for everyone to know and remember their names, forever.
This was definitely a first for us, to watch and review most of the Oscar nominated films, especially since we pride ourselves on not caring what the Academy thinks. Most of the time, the films nominated are overrated and too artsy fartsy. This year was different. Original content was created and thank goodness the Oscars woke up and took notice.
We hope you liked our Oscars 2017 coverage. Now, let’s see who wins. 🍿🎥🏆